Thursday Thirteen banner courtesy of Harlekwin.
After one year, you know when you’re in Dubai when:
1. The beauty salons have painted doors that you can’t see what/who is inside. Sometimes, it looks like a plain wall until the someone opens the door!
2. People bid millions of dirhams for a car plate.
3. Overt shows of affection between a man and a woman are frowned upon but no one blinks and eye at two men holding hands.
4. Someone says “yes, no problem, I’ll get it done for you in 20 minutes” and you know it’s going to take 3 days.
5. You can’t find any pork products even a simple bacon on major supermarkets like Carrefour.
6. But there are over 100 brands of catsup occupying one entire lane of the supermarket.
7. The malls are open until past 12 midnight!
8. Children are more awake than you are at 10 pm inside the malls on Thursday/Friday nights.
9. Your laundry basket has no socks in it because you never wear them!
10. Going out for a barbeque on any day is possible, without the worry of rain.
11. You see a woman in a g-string and a woman covered in black cloth all over in the same beach spot, wading in the same waters!
12. You woke up at the call of prayer at 5 am.
13. You get excited when it rains!
It’s exactly one year since we stepped out of Emirates Airlines at Dubai International Airport on January 13, 2008. It’s just remarkable to think how time went so fast. I guess this is what happens when you blink.