My mother believes in so many superstitions. Some of them are so-so (not so irritating) while others make you want to roll your eyes to the ceiling and gag. I live with my mother and I hear or laugh at the superstitions frequently until I realize I have and practice some of them myself, especially when I’m traveling.
Ok, not superstitions maybe but unusual travel habits. Here’s some:
1. Bringing my pocket Bible – I had this Bible for 20 years already and while I don’t open or read it regularly, I always, always carry it in ALL of my flights. I have been on a plane for about 60 times and it was been with me always.
2. Never looking back at the terminal – My mom said, if you leave, leave, never look back or else you’ll suffer from homesickness and long for the ones left behind, people waving at you at the departure terminal.
I don’t know if this works because even if I never look back, I always miss my family when I finally board the plane without them.
3. Holding someone’s hand during take off – If I’m with a family member, I always hold their hand during take off in the hope that whatever happens, at least it was them that I held last. *knock on wood*
Pristine gets antsy whenever I do this because mostly during take off, my hands are wet with sweat. Even after so many take offs in my life.
4. Close my eyes just before landing – I don’t know if this is a habit but I realized I am either asleep during landing or deliberately close my eyes until the plane wheels touch the ground.
I also say a little prayer that those wheels come out properly and land safely. Also? Also? Sometimes I clap my hands (silently).
5. Taking Pristine’s favorite toy – When Pristine turned 6 months, my mother in-law gifted her with a small doll. We call her Lala-chan and she has been with us in all our flights after that. I feel she’s sort of a ‘lucky’ item.
Do you have a travel habit or superstition? Please share!