My mother believes in so many superstitions. Some of them are so-so (not so irritating) while others make you want to roll your eyes to the ceiling and gag. I live with my mother and I hear or laugh at the superstitions frequently until I realize I have and practice some of them myself, especially when I’m traveling.
Ok, not superstitions maybe but unusual travel habits. Here’s some:
1. Bringing my pocket Bible – I had this Bible for 20 years already and while I don’t open or read it regularly, I always, always carry it in ALL of my flights. I have been on a plane for about 60 times and it was been with me always.
2. Never looking back at the terminal – My mom said, if you leave, leave, never look back or else you’ll suffer from homesickness and long for the ones left behind, people waving at you at the departure terminal.
I don’t know if this works because even if I never look back, I always miss my family when I finally board the plane without them.
3. Holding someone’s hand during take off – If I’m with a family member, I always hold their hand during take off in the hope that whatever happens, at least it was them that I held last. *knock on wood*
Pristine gets antsy whenever I do this because mostly during take off, my hands are wet with sweat. Even after so many take offs in my life.
4. Close my eyes just before landing – I don’t know if this is a habit but I realized I am either asleep during landing or deliberately close my eyes until the plane wheels touch the ground.
I also say a little prayer that those wheels come out properly and land safely. Also? Also? Sometimes I clap my hands (silently).
5. Taking Pristine’s favorite toy – When Pristine turned 6 months, my mother in-law gifted her with a small doll. We call her Lala-chan and she has been with us in all our flights after that. I feel she’s sort of a ‘lucky’ item.
Do you have a travel habit or superstition? Please share!
your information is good.thanks for sharing this nice information.
Funny how we all have our little quirks.
It’s life’s little rituals that give us balance and a sense of calm in what can be either trying or turbulent circumstances. (By the way… I clap when the plane lands safely, too!)
Honestly, I think we all have little superstitions we do, whether traveling, or cooking, or taking a test, or anything else we do. I think they are all reassuring for us 🙂
I can’t think of anything I do at the moment, but I do know I have some!
Grace you make me smile.
I take a pocket bible with me as well. As a matter of a fact, I have it with me all the time.
Also during take off and landing, I go through the emergency take off and landing drill while holding my breath. Thats dumb I know but I used to be a flight attendant a lifetime ago, and somehow chose to remember all the emergency drills and the not so cool things about airplanes.
Your website is really cool, you really have wonderful experience in your travel. I would love to see more great photos from you.
We use candy, lots and lots of it 🙂 it helps takes everyone’s attention away from what’s going on
I’ve gotten much better, but I am kind-of scared to fly myself so I have to hold onto my hubby’s hand (I have never flown alone, the one time without him, I had both my boys with me and I held their hands). I also close my eyes during take off and landing, I LISTEN to the safety talk on every flight and I check to make sure there is a life jacket under my seat and hubby’s seat and the seat of everyone flying with me. I also make sure all of our seatbelts are nice and tight, then during landing, I have to make sure that MY brakes are being depressed as well – those are the feet of the chair in front of me – I am convinced that if I am not pushing as hard as I can on them, the pilot will not be able to stop the plane (psycho, I know)… all the while praying.
So don’t feel bad about your mom ~ I’m crazier than she is! =)
Thanks for sharing your travel habits, Lorie.
LOL on the life jacket! My father, whenever he boards a ship always, always look for the life jacket, take it out (luckily it’s allowed on ships) and makes it his pillow! He is always ready!
lovely it is nice post i must say it is one of the good post for now which i read
good to know that all point i really like to read