My first reaction when I saw the original recipe here was, seriously!? I’m a fan of gluten free sweets and so far has used pre-mixed gluten free flour from Organic Store and mostly, almond flour but then again I blinked and rubbed my eyes: BLACK BEANS? And into chocolate cake?
Count me in!
- 1 can of black beans
- 5 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp coconut oil (or butter)
- 3/4 cup Demerara sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Oil round 9″ baking pan.
3. Place the beans, 3 of the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt into a blender or food processor. Blend until completely liquified. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, Mix together cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
5. In a larger bowl, beat coconut oil until light and fluffy.
6. Add the remaining two eggs, beating well after each one.
7. Pour bean batter into egg mixture and mix.
8. Finally, stir in cocoa powder mixture and water and beat the batter on high for one minute until smooth.
9. Pour into the prepared pan.
10. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
I can tell you this is one cake I am going to bake over and over again! It’s light and chocolatey and just simply delicious.