After 8 months, you know you’re in Dubai when:
- There’s someone called the office boy in your work place who does all the copying, scanning and faxing. You don’t have to stand to do these things! He even brings you a nice milk tea twice a day.
- the office boy does not know much English and you have to recall your sign language classes 20 years ago
- some people keep on saying “yes” when they meant “no” and they don’t understand either
- everyone seems to be talking their own dialect you can’t understand and it’s not Arabic
- people go on annual vacations for an average of 30 days (some even extend up to two weeks) and bring loads of sweets when they come back
- people go out (and don’t return after at least 40 minutes) at the call of prayer twice every day
- People are unusually quiet while working on Saturdays and Sundays.
- You actually start your work week on Saturdays!!
- work colleagues get their full course (Indian) lunch delivered in the office
- people watch Indian drama in YouTube at lunchtime in full volume
- you are the only female in the department
- you have difficulty to recognize your Indian colleagues because they look all the same!
- 80% of the men have moustaches and/or beards
- you can blog and chat in the office!
- but you can’t access Skype, Flickr, Friendster and Typepad blogs…etc
- you want to go back home if you forgot to bring your blazers/light jacket/cardigan
Now, do you want to try working here? 🙂