Khang Keaw Wan Gai or green curry chicken in coconut milk to those who do not know Thai language (including myself) is a traditional dish in Thailand, one of the most popular too not just in Thailand but around the world.
Here’s the curry recipe in a hurry – you can practically make it within 30 minutes from preparing the ingredients to landing in your dining table!
Recipe: Gaeng Kiaw Wan (Thai Green Curry)
- 1 cup skinless chicken breast, sliced to bite sizes
- 2 Tbsp green curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup pea eggplants (or regular eggplants, sliced)
- 2 green or red chillies, seeds removed, sliced lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, torn in half (kaffir leaves powder can also be used)
- 2 tsp palm sugar
- 1/2 cup holy basil leaves for garnish
- In wok, heat oil over low heat.
- Add green curry paste an stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk little by little and stir gently.
- Add the chicken and stir until cooked.
- Pour in the rest of the coconut milk and stir constantly until the bubbles come up.
- Season with fish sauce and palm sugar. Stir occasionally and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pea eggplants and chilies.
- Garnish with holy basil leaves before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2
You can omit some of the ingredients, except for, in my opinion, NOT the kaffir lime leaves as it makes this dish stand out, come alive in your palates! The kaffir lime’s tangy taste brings out the best in all the ingredients and gives this dish that extra oomph.
To those who are living in Dubai – you can find Thai ingredients including kaffir lime leaves, curry paste, etc at the Asian store called Sunflower Supermarket in Karama.
* Photo taken using Canon EOS 550D