13 SCENTS/SMELLS I LIKE
1. Vanilla – I haven’t met someone who doesn’t like the smell of vanilla. It’s an essential ingredient for baking but not limited to it – Aromatherapists use it to create a relaxed, euphoric mood and to counteract tension, frustration and irritability. The sweet, exotic aroma is also associated with sensuality and confidence.
2. Butter – I love the smell of butter in butter cakes, cookies, rolls or simply butter as it is.
3. Cinnamon– I even used to buy cinnamon candies and just smell it. Studies also show that cinnamon smell can increase alertness when driving. It wouldn’t work though to have a box of Cinnabon in the car as it is more likely you’ll take your hands off the wheel and reach for the cinnamon rolls!
4. White Musk – My favorite scent from The Body Shop.
5. Lemon/Lime/Citrus – I like this smell to start my day! It’s full of life! The scent of lemon has proven effects on the mind. It relieves mental fatigue, improves mental clarity, alertness, memory, sharpens the senses and reduces stress.
6. Freshly baked bread – Just the smell can fill up my hunger!
7. Burning wood – Just because this smell reminds me of the simple life I had back home. We did not have a gas or electric stove, and used wood to cook our food.
8. Lavender – One of the things I look forward to summer in Japan is this plant. The smell of lavender is always very nice, not too faint nor overpowering. Studies show that it calms the nervous system, making it a sedative. It also reduces stress in the body with its anti-spasmodic qualities.
9. Baby smell – I love the smell of babies even before I became a mom and more so when I became one 5 years ago. If I hold a baby, I don’t just kiss, I breathe in the smell until almost all the smell is gone!
10. Chocolate/Cocoa– This smell I couldn’t get over. Try baking some brownies? I love how the smell of chocolate stick even to my pillow cases. I would put out my pillows when I bake choco-walnut fudge brownies to make them smell like gooey chocolate!
11. A box of new Crayons – because they remind me of my first box when I was little. Seeing and smelling crayons always make me think of the unlimited room for creativity.
12. Jackfruit– If you are unfamiliar with this fruit, you are likely to find this in your local Asian market. Jackfruit, when ripe has the strongest and richest smell of any fruit in creation – in a good way! Just in case you were thinking of the the dreaded Durian smell, I promise, jackfruit is not that bad! Some sites mention that the smell of jackfruit is almost identical to the smell of rotting onions! Don’t believe it – I personally think it’s not true. By the way, Jackfruit is probably my next favorite fruit in the Philippines (the first would be mango), not just because of the scent but because of the taste.
13. Believe or not, Gasoline! – I open the car windows when I’m in a gasoline station just to smell it. How many others share this same crazed passion?